Welcome

Welcome to the TritonMedia blog home of the latest EVENTS---> MUSIC ---> NEWS-----> MORE

Thursday 13 December 2012

#AlternativeThursday Spotlight...ADUKE

Ayobamidele Aladekomo- known as ADUKE is a Nigerian born to a dentist father and lawyer mother, she's the last of two children. She is a performing artist, a singer, songwriter, guitarist, dancer and actress. At a very early age she had passion for deep philosophical thoughts and words, coupled with the love for rhythm, music was not farfetched for her. Her distinctive low range voice and style of singing was not encouraged in the religious institution so she set out to build a brand she believed was real and appealing. She heads a band named SSV(sticks, strings and voices) and debuted her own first show in 2010, with ADUKE and FWENDZ " an evening of poetry and conscious music" featuring Kafayat Quadri, Sage Has.son, Sistersoul and Adewale Oreshade. She has performed at literary events and art festivals in Nigeria. Her second single and video 'Hear the Voice' which made became a worldwide hit during the Occupy Nigeria protests is a socio-politically conscious song that draws inspiration from the living conditions of millions of Nigerians which she says she has a first-hand connection with.  She is the initiator of the ASAP reforms initiative that aims to use art forms as social and political reformative tools. Aduke is currently signed to SCOALE music.



READ THE INTERVIEW BELOW
 Q: Who is Aduke? Please tell us more about yourself
A: My full names are Ayobamidele Aladekomo, I got the name Aduke from my grandma as ORIKI. I read history and strategic studies in university of Lagos. I'm the last of two children. I'm a performance artiste and love theatre. I write poetry, play the guitar, act, and dance.

Q:  How was growing up for you?
A: My formative years were in Osogbo Osun state and it was a great experience. A lot different from Lagos.

Q:  When did you start singing professionally?
A: I started singing professionally in 2005.

Q: How did you combine academics with music?
A: While in school, music was my leisure, I wasn't doing anything major so they rarely clashed but I was a professional theatre performer and was and still working in a dance-theatre company known as Crown troupe of Africa.

Q: Why alternative music?
A: I really only try to sing what comes to heart. I'm a believer that music belongs to the soul and it should be used for reformative purposes.

Q: Who are your major influences as an artiste?
A: Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley, India Arie, Fela.

Q: How would you classify your genre of music? What inspires your lyrics?
A: I like to tell people I just sing... No classification, I'm African, I sing and sound the way I do so many people have tried to help me identify my genre so we r between neo-soul and afro-soul, maybe we would figure it out one day... Life inspires my lyrics. Nigeria is a country where there is a story to tell all around. My environment, life and God inspire my lyrics

Q: Which artists would you like to work with?
A:  Sound sultan, Suspect, Nayosoul, Ese Peters.


Q: What else do you do asides music?
A:  Like I said earlier I'm a performance artiste. I do everything arts except visual arts

Q: What do you do when you're not recording or in the studio?
A: I rehearse with my band, hang out with friends... And go for dance and acting rehearsals or have a show to attend in that field.

Q: What's the story behind the Leke Leke song?
A: The song Leke Leke is a song I wrote after much thought about the situation of this country. Nigeria is blessed beyond human comprehension and its beginning to seem like too much blessing is our doom as we cannot manage our excesses and its only God that can help us. So it's a prayer to the heavens, to Eledumare.

Q: What are the challenges you face in the industry?
A: My major challenge is the lack of structure. There's too much short cuts and substandard results. The world is listening to Nigerian music now but what are we dishing out. Everybody is guilty.

Q: Which songs are you currently listening?
A: I've been listening to a lot of old school highlife these days Obey, Orlando Owoh, Tunji Oyelana, and the likes. I experiment with Fuji once in a while.

Q: Any major plan before the year runs out?
A: I have launched my initiative ASAP reforms which is Art for social and political reforms. It preaches that artistes should be 21st century model of the ancient african setting masquarades and artistes who took the reformation of their community up. I'm working on a project for next year too.

Q: One word for your fans
A: God bless you for believing and supporting













No comments:

Post a Comment